Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye, 2011!

In the blink of an eye, this year has come and gone. I feel like time has sprinted by, but when I reflect on everything that has happened, it is hard to fathom how we crammed it all in. At this time last year, Sophie was recovering from her CI surgery and we were anticipating activation day. It had been quite an emotional year for us - departing from our “normal”, learning how to embrace our challenges, and preparing for the road ahead.  I was incredibly hopeful for what 2011 would mean for Sophie and our family and I can happily say that I was not let down. What an amazing year.

If I had to sum up 2011 with a single word, it would have to be EXCITING.  The year started with a bang when Sophie’s CIs were activated and she heard sound for the first time. That day started a new chapter of our lives, one that we had envisioned for a long time and have been living out ever since. I feel so privileged to be the mother of such a special child and get to experience the milestones and memories that accompany this journey -  
The exhilarating rush that came over me when I watched Sophie turn to her name for the first time. Tears stinging my eyes while watching her dance and twirl to music.  Holding my breath as she uttered her first words, and the shrieks of excitement and hugs that followed. These are just a few of my favorite moments from this past year.
I’m feeling very confident about the joys that 2012 will bring and I’m happier than ever with where we are at. I finally feel like WE CAN DO THIS, even though we have been doing it for a while. We have definitely caught our breath and are finding our new “normal”.  And as time goes by, I am increasingly confident that the uncertainty about the future will fade away, as it is already starting to do. I can only hope that 2012 will hold as many exciting moments and memories as we have been lucky to experience this year. Goodbye, 2011 – I can’t wait to see what 2012 has in store for us!
Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment