Thursday, January 13, 2011

Three days later and two AMAZING videos to share!

Here we are, three days after activation and Sophie is doing wonderfully. We are definitely noticing a big difference in our little girl! We were told that it may take weeks or even months to notice a change, but Sophie is already responding to sounds. She even turns her head to her name! I still find myself second guessing and over-analyzing her responses, but I guess I am just used to questioning everything from our hearing aid days. There is no doubt, though - our angel is HEARING! Oh my goodness, this was worth the wait!

The biggest difference we have noticed in Sophie so far is when she is playing with her toys. She is fascinated with every toy that makes noise and she "dances" often. She loved to dance before her CIs, but she only did it when she was mimicking Mommy or Daddy. Now she can hear the music and I see her dancing on her own all the time. She is also responding to us when we call her name. I don't think she actually knows her name yet, but she can hear it and wants to know what is going on! Yesterday, we were nursing in her room and Jared stood in the doorway where she could not see him. He started to say Sophie's name and she stopped and sat straight up, trying to find him. So awesome!

Here are a couple short videos of this miracle unfolding before our eyes:

Sophie turning to her name. (Please ignore my old ratty robe. I was NOT camera ready). ;)

Dancing Queen!

Anyway, the past few days have been a whirlwind, but we are adjusting well. We had our first mapping session since activation yesterday and it went great. Sophie worked for 2.5 hours straight - such a trooper! We were able to get very good information from her to program her CIs. She has really become a pro at turning her head to tell us she heard a sound. Such a smart girl! Now that she has her CIs, she is getting a new therapist, who we met yesterday. She is very nice and told us she is very confident about teaching Sophie and thinks she will do amazing.

So far, this has been the best way to wear her processors. We have also used wig tape and that works really great, but it loses stickiness and I find myself having to reapply it. We just need more headbands like this. Right now, we have hot pink, white, and purple. :)


We are also getting used to her equipment, but it was very overwhelming at first. Talk about information overload:


I feel so much relief already and I know there will be more to come. This is just the beginning and it is already amazing. I'm feeling very optimistic and I can't wait to see what is next!

My happy HEARING girl!

6 comments:

  1. So awesome! You've got a little superstar! It's definitely information overload. It looks like you have the headbands figured out too! You're well on your way! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a little star! she seems to have adjusted so well & doing amazing! Those headbands are adorable too! has she tried taking the CI's out at all??? & WOW look at all that gear!!!! i never knew it came with so much!! Im so excited for you guys looks like sophie is going to be flying through everything now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first video brought tears to my eyes...so happy for you all. Did you see my blog post about the headbands Lily wears? They hold the complete BTE without having to worry about the babyworn option and all the cables hanging everywhere. Sophie's doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I went back and re-read about Lily's headbands. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I made up something similar for Sophie so that she can wear the full BTE. So much better than the babyworn option!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog and congrats on Sophie's surgery and activation! I was smiling ear to ear watching her dance! Reading your posts bring tears to my eyes as I remember back to the days when Aiden was first activated. I still have sleepless nights worrying about him, but not nearly like I used to. Welcome to the hearing world Sophie! I look forward to following your journey. It truly is a simply amazing one!

    ReplyDelete